Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Homemade Laundry Detergent Bandwagon...

It seems lately every time you turn around someone else is going on about making their own laundry detergent. I had unsure feelings about it, I'll admit. Part of me was lazy about collecting the supplies needed, like it takes soooo many. Finally I said, "That's it. Once I go through these last five bottles of Tide I'm making my own!" Yes, I had 5 bottles of Tide in my house at one time. I had that many coupons and there was a good sale, and that is the only time I buy it, when it's less than $5!

So, I asked around and researched looking for a recipe that was good for me. Which all the recipes are basically the same using washing soda, Borax and Feels soap. Cook the soap, mix... blah blah. And in the end it's really think, like gel. That just seems like too much for me.

Just as I am about to give up and move on I come across a pin on Pinterest that catches my attention, homemade laundry soap using DAWN!!! It's not thick??? No cooking??? You can make it by the bottle?? Heck yeah!!! I have 3 full bottles of Dawn I bought a year ago for less than $1 that are collecting dust. I VERY rarely hand wash my dishes, so 1 bottle will last me forever.

Here is the link to the recipe: One Good Thing by Jillee



The best part is that you can use different scents of Dawn and it will leave your laundry scented. The only thing I had to do different was cut her recipe down. Jillee uses 1 gallon jugs while I have 50 ounce bottles (which is still less than a half a gallon). I just cut the recipe in half and it still works great! I'm still testing using different amounts in various laundry sizes, but I call this a success!! It's fast, easy and works!!



No comments: